September 13, 2008

It's not a Bucket List


On the sly, I've discussed with a few friends my plans for the fall/ winter. They say, "Oh, like a bucket list." No, it's more like a "I've ignored it for 8 years and now I want to do other things than ride my bike...list"

There you have it. How did I get here? First, I fell off my bike last December... onto my shoulder. This injury put me off the bike for a while, but I wasn't too sad. Then, I caught the super flu in late February and couldn't get out of bed, let alone train, and I wasn't too worried (since at that time, nationals was, 1..2..3...8 months away.) Then I began my Mary Kay business in April. All those little white boxes and trips to the bank (to make deposits) are pretty intoxicating. When that happened, I set my training aside. Then my close friend's mother passed away and I began thinking about what I've done in the past few years... and what if it all ended tomorrow. Once the new Mary Kay adventure reduced to a simmer, I was struck with Guido, the intestinal demon that destroyed my system.

Finally by August, I was healthy, my business was underway, I was looking forward to a new school year, and...



I'm still not motivated to train.


At this point, I'm going through the motions. Ryan Triplett passed away last weekend and again, I"m reminding that it's a big world out there to explore and I need to get on it. I LOVE racing, but I'm not IN LOVE with the training anymore. I need to be IN LOVE with something to give it my all. I want my last hoo-rah at Nationals to be fun and worthwhile and I have the motivation and the spirit to hang in there and do the work for 3 more weeks.

This fall and winter, I'm planning to do all the things that I've put aside. Some are get-back-to's and some are want-to-try-them's. So, add my on your list to join you...

hiking
climbing (want to try)
fishing
quading
dating (you may need to help me supply the date)
riding- yes, i still plan to
snow shoeing
xc skiing
snowboarding- i have a little- 10 years ago
backpacking
camping
um...
dating
hash running
kayaking
ok, now i'm starting to visualize the floor plan at REI
rugby
football (i think)
dating
bbq
chili feeds
running- a little at first

I think that's about it. The point is, my goal is to be outdoors every weekend, and some weeknights from mid- October- end of February and beyond.

Call, email, post to my facebook, whatever!

4 comments:

Gilby said...

Have fun with your list! I started working on my own & practicing spandex-free living a few weeks before local racing was done.

In time I'm sure I'll get the sweet-tooth again, but right now racing frosting is too much on an otherwise tasty cake.

wantingless said...

Come fishing with us! We have a motorhome...we are going to the coast. We can drink Cosmos and fish. Come with us!

Unknown said...

that outdoor activity called "dating" keeps poping up....is that a new winter sport up USA-way or a new x-games sport....?

Richard said...

I highly recommend going to Memphis if you want to try real barbecue. All that other stuff just pretends to be barbecue.