May 21, 2006

Finally a Swan Island Win

I've been a bridesmaid at the Swan Island Crit every year so far. Today we had 12 racers, including Jeannie, Kris, Melissa, Kendra, Shanan, and some others. Darien was my partner in crime. Most of the race was a typical "knitting class" Oregon crit. The course is flat with wide corners with little action. Darien attacked a couple of times, as did others. I even took a run, but usually for no reason other than to keep my legs opened up. I snagged one prime without too much effort. I just took it long and held the others off.

With about 10 laps to go, a fabulous monsoon added a twist to racing. I moved to the front mostly in case someone slipped out in the corner, I wouldn't be behind him. There's less splash in the front as well. WIth 2 laps to go, I let my teammate know I was stuck to her wheel. In the last lap, Darien ramped it up going into turn 2. We were 1-2 most of the back stretch. Approaching the last curve, I saw Kendra pull Melissa outside on Darien's left. I ducked around Darien on the right and jumped on Melissa's wheel. Once the road straightened out, we both took the sprint at the same time. I had to catch her first, then eased ahead. By just a wheel, I won, feeling pretty good about it. I wonder if someone caught a photo of it.

Women 1/2/3
1 VanValkenburg, Heather Team Rubicon
2 Sanborn, Melissa Wenzel Coaching
3 Bihlmaier, Jeannie Columbia River Velo
4 Whitlatch, Shanan Fred Meyer/Lakeside Bicycle
5 Featheringill, Jen Bike Central

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job teamie!