January 10, 2006

A Canuck Weekend Eh?


So, it takes 4.75 hours to drive to the Canadian border. And that's even driving the speed limit. Really, why do racers drive hours to a race, for no reason at all other than we miss the dizziness of flying around and around and around? Steven refers to the Burnaby Velodrome as a bathtub. The last time I was there, someone asked me, "So what do you think of our toilet bowl?" I think the second metaphor fits better- not just physically, but figuratively.

I was happy to ride a 200 meter time close to my Alpenrose time. That was my goal. Granted, the Burnaby track is faster and indoors and faster and wood and faster, it's January. I"m not suppose to be all that fast right now. I have another 9 months to train until it really matters. I put myself in a silly spot and only got 2nd in the first round. I won my rep ride. Steveo has a nifty movie of it on his web site. Stayed stuck in a box in the 3-6 ride. 6th place is not usual for me, but let's remember the month again.... January.

The toilet flushed from there on, from scratch races unfinished, to keirens ridden "safely" (not winningly), and being the first rider pulled in a miss-n-out. But, overall, it was a great first race in orange. It's funny, I've been chasing this orange kit around for 4 years, working to race against anyone wearing one. Now, Norrene and I will be working together! Looking forward to the team camaraderie in 2006 and doing the best I can, both on and off the 2 wheeler.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leo-Tzu, 6th Century B.C. said -

"if you wish to be out front, then act as if you were behind"

just a little something to think about next keiren event.

Mum