May 8, 2006

The 5 tuber

So when was the last time you wasted 4 (yes 4) tubes changing a flat. In my defense, I believe that since I run Michelin tires, I rarely flat as it is, so I am a little unpracticed in the way of tire changing. So, I call Brian and say something like, "Hey, I think I want to race tonight, since I didn't do anything yesterday." That sounded great to him and I rolled out of the garage. Not even to 13th street and I ride through some glass and had the instant flat. I changed it quickly and didn't even screw up the CO2 this time. However, I did hear the hiss of oh-crap-there-must-be-some-glass-in-the-tire.

I call Chuck who tells me that he's at PIR. There is car racing tonight, so no bike racing. He's going to meet me in Vancouver with stuff to change the flat (again.) On my way to Ice Cream Renesance (can't spell that), I see Tuckie at the corner. He pokes fun at me and is on his fat tire way. Ice Cream place is closed. So is Mike's bikes.

Chuck meets me at Starbucks and helps with replacement tube #2. We head towards home, but I want to ride a little bit,so I just take my phone- just in case.

Just in case happened about 2 miles later along Fruit Valley Road. Chuck came to pick my grumpy ass up and we go home. I do 3 sets of push ups in the next half hour and we drive off to Performance Bike Shop. I pick up 3 tubes and a new tire (well Chuck bought them actually.) We eat not-very-good chicken wings at Hooters with bad service and go home.

In the living room, I pinch yet ANOTHER tube (#3), having to use levers on the new tire. I give up and go brush my teeth for bed. Chuck unwraps tube #4 and I plop into bed. About 30 minutes later, the news is bad as Chuck tells me that it was fine until the wheel fell over and then it was flat again.

Pretty soon the tubes will add up to be more than the tire....

0 comments: